Monday, October 15, 2012

I believe great schools create an environment in which students invest in the school academically, socially, and emotionally.  If we're doing our jobs right, DSMS should become part of the identity of our students.  "My name is Brock.  I'm 12 years old.  I love my mom, dad, and two sisters.  I play hockey and piano.  I'm earning straight A's at Desert Shadows Middle School."

That's the goal.

The only way we accomplish the goal is to invest in each of our kids academically, socially, and emotionally.  We must strive for strong personal connections with our students through engaging yet rigorous academic and elective programs.

Last week provided evidence that progress was made towards the goal.  As I walked throughout campus, student faces were lit with smiles and excitement and they participated in project based learning.  7th grade students practiced marching drills in social studies as they prepared for the reenactment of the Battle of Gettysburg.  The campus came alive after school with all-star basketball (boys) and softball (girls).  The cafeteria was filled with students and family members on Tuesday evening during another unbelievable chorus concert.

This week brings much of the same with home basketball and softball games after school on Monday (10/15) and Wednesday (10/17), as well as our first after school dance of the school year on Friday (10/19).

I can't help but notice and take pride in the way our community invests in DSMS.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment